A way to think about supported living that collects stories, pictures, documents, and operational policies from Options’ work and reflects on their practical meaning in terms of these ideas: Learning from Options· The idea of emergent order
· Limits of command and control
· From packages to people
· A guiding pattern emerges· People with developmental disabilities lead· Autonomy and support can lead to liberation· Creating space as a guiding image· Conflict clarifies beliefs· Beliefs define the pattern· Respect for autonomy· Enacted beliefs· Fruitful contradictions· A strong culture· High ideals grounded in daily demands· What makes Options work for me· Avoiding the growth trap· Principle and political viability
· Dividing rather than growing· Purposely increasing diversity· Building relationships and agreements· A charter for support· The policy on quality of life· Living space· Ordinary connections· Day-to-day assistance· Usual difficulties· Big troubles· Stretching the ordinary· The ‘how’ of agreements in a web of relationships· Power differences and dependency· Holding stress· Acknowledging difficulty· Signs of trouble· Relationships as a resource· Teamwork· Renewal through ritual· Authority and hierarchy· Designing support· A comfortable living place· Effective personal assistance
· Conversational planning· Getting to know the person· Making funding flexible· Embracing variety· Temptations to standardize· Generating flexibility· Generalists and specialists· How Options Learns· New possibilities for a person· Learning as a matter of the heart· Cultivating expertise· Chewing on intractable problems· Progress on community building· The position of Home Support Workers· Co-evolution with the service system
· Nine enduring understandings
There are no reviews yet.