TVO Video on Beat the Street – with Joan Read Olson – click to view
Beat the Street – CBC’s Fifth Estate
- SCIL Video: (Student Centred Individualized Learning) – SCIL: Student Centred Individualized Learning. This approach to literacy and learning was developed by Marsha Forest at Frontier College. Its foundation was a focus on the skills and capacities in each learner and supporting each learner with strategies and tutors that maximized their own learning. (circa 1985) – SCIL was the educational foundation of the Beat the Street educational philosophy
- Beat the Street – People Patterns – TVO – 30 minutes special – interviews with Tracy LeQuyere (Justin Page), Jack Pearpoint, Beat the Street students and tutors.
- Beat the Street – the Fifth Estate (CBC) beat the street was a remarkable literacy program that mobilized the talents of street youth to tutor other street people. The impossible is simply hard work!!.
- Literacy: Marsha Forest & Tracy LeQuyere – Tracy ‘graduated’ from prison and could not read and write. Marsha Forest became his tutor – and they remained friends and colleagues for the rest of her life. Tracy (Now Justin Page) got the literacy ‘bug’ and is still organizing literacy tutoring and has authored the U-CAN dictionaries. This short video is simply Tracy and Marsha on the fly with a group – spreading the word. – (30 minutes)
- Why Johnny Can’t Read – Beat the Street – City Pulse – Literacy & Beat the Street – Meet ‘street kids’ teaching street kids, educators, policy makers – exploring the challenge of ‘literacy’ and how we miss/toss away so many talents in so many youth and citizens – 1987 estimate – 12 minutes
- Beyond the Basics – MacleanHunter Cable…Beyond the Basics – a MacleanHunter Cable interview with Tracy LeQuyere (Justin Page) about literacy, life on the street and a program to give street kids a second change – Beat the Street
- Voices Seldom Heard
- Bill 82. Betty Stevenson – 1980