We love offering this course and find it a full-on experience for us. The pandemic has brought us into offering this course virtually online, even considering when we might be able to offer the course in person again. We keep learning and pushing our edges as we teach and host the course.
We want the course to be the best possible learning experience for everyone. We realize it is a collaborative endeavour. Participants come together and create a learning community with one another for the time we are together.
This FAQ is offered in hopes of helping clarify some of our hopes, intentions and expectations.
~ Lynda and Jack
Jack Pearpoint and Lynda Kahn, Course Guides
What are the course dates of the FALL 2022 virtual Open Enrollment Person Centered Ways to Build Community with PATH and MAPS?
We will meet on the following dates, and we’ve included a few notes about the course outline for each date. We are posting the times in Eastern time/Toronto. The recent courses we offered engaged folks from different time zones and continents. Please use this World Clock to confirm the time in your location https://www.worldtimebuddy.com/
- 2-hour Orientation Session, Tuesday, September 27 from 9:30-11:30 am Eastern
Five full days- Each day, we will start at 9:30 am and end at 4:30 pm Eastern. The daily workshop will be in two blocks of 3 hours (with breaks), and one hour for lunch.
MORNING SESSIONS: 9:30am – 12:30pm Eastern; BREAK 12:30-1:30pm Eastern; AFTERNOON SESSIONS: 1:30pm -4:30pm Eastern
- Monday, Oct. 3 (Listening Practices, Values; Circles of Support; Solution circles)
- Tuesday, Oct .4 (Values, Listening Practices, PATH intro; PATH demonstration; Form PATH practice teams)
- Wednesday, Oct. 5 (PATH Practice in teams, and more)
- Monday, Oct. 24 (Reconnecting, ‘Practice and Stretch’ Check-in; MAPS intro and MAPS Demonstration)
- Tuesday, Oct. 25 (MAPS Practice in teams)
- A Follow-up session, Tuesday, November 8, from 9:30-11:30 am Eastern
How do I prepare for the course?
COURSE RESOURCES and MATERIALS: Upon your registration and confirmation of your preferred shipping address, we will ship you a course resource pack, which is included in your registration fee. There are three (3) course books, several person-centred posters, a Workshop Journal, and the Learning Journey Booklet included in the course resources you will receive.
- The PATH and MAPS Handbook: Person Centered Ways to Build Community, published in 2010, is the core guidebook for the course, and we follow this in our demonstrations of the PATH and MAPS processes. We also use two other course books, Hints for Graphic Facilitators, Person-Centered Planning with MAPS and PATH : A Workbook for Facilitators.
GRAPHICS SUPPLIES and MATERIALS: Each participant will want to have a Sketch pad, water-colour/washable markers (thin and thicker chisel tip), soft chalk pastels, etc. All materials needed for course participants will be outlined for participants upon registration, including a description of the kind of wall chart/ mural roll paper used in graphic facilitation for practice on wall space.
- PHOTO PHONE and MAIL DIRECTORY After registration, each participant will be asked to confirm their preferred contact information, including email and telephone, and to send us a headshot photo for our participant email directory so folks can readily find one other during the course. The Directory will be shared with the group only, so a selfie from your iPhone is just fine.
- ZOOM! Participants need to download and be able to use Zoom. The course is designed for each person to be seen well and heard on an individual Zoom screen. A laptop or iPad is preferable to a telephone for this virtual course.
How do I get the most from this course?
- We encourage you to form an intention for your own learning journey in this course. Bring Curiosity, an Open Mind, Open Heart and Open Will to your own learning and engagement.
- There are suggested readings before and during the course. We have created some outlines for the readings to help guide you. It will make a positive difference in your learning if you make time to review, read and prepare. We will convey the priority readings before the PATH and MAPS demonstration and practice. These are not overwhelming readings– but they are important.
- There is a three-week time for practice between the PATH and MAPS sessions. We hope that participants will do their best to ‘practice’ (hands-on engagement) with real people between sessions, if possible. As a minimum – components of the conversational practices of PATH and MAPS and other facilitation practices we engage in through the course can be ‘practiced” between sessions with your family, co-workers and beyond.
- We hope that people’s commitment is ongoing – with other participants and colleagues, and families. In our experience, this is an invitation and a challenge to deep engagement. We hope you share that deep commitment.
Each participant can expect to:
- Engage in and experience many facilitation practices together throughout the course.,
- Observe or participate in a PATH and MAPS demonstration with someone from the workshop.
- Step into and experience at least one of the following 3 roles during the course: as the focus person of a PATH or MAPS process, graphic facilitator, or process facilitator.
- Receive a Course Overview and Outline, along with Zoom Tips and the materials list needed for graphics.
- Engage in practices and reflect on the learning. There will be work and exercises in pairs and small breakout groups. The course will have no more than 25 participants. Prioritizing comfort and engagement, the sessions will include time for health and body breaks throughout the day.
- Stretch! We recognize ‘The greatest learning is in the Stretch!‘ That is how we learn, stepping outside what’s the most comfortable for us. Participants in the course should anticipate stepping up and taking a stretch during the course to enter into various roles that are part of the planning processes we will introduce and demonstrate. Everyone will practice in teams: the role of the focus person, graphic facilitator and/or process facilitator. There are many opportunities over the days of the course to try on different roles.
Do I need to attend all the days of the course?
Yes. We are breaking the course up as follows:
- An Orientation (2 hours in advance of the first full day of the course);
- An ‘Inhale‘: three (3) days focused on foundations of facilitation, graphics, and PATH;
- an ‘Exhale’ when we trust you will be practicing steps of PATH and/or other facilitation practices we experience together;
- An ‘Inhale’: two (2) days focused on MAPS;
- an ‘Exhale’ including practice; and
- a final Check-in.
We want you to enjoy your participation. We also respect your schedules and are counting on you to be fully present for all sessions and to advise us if you are facing a time conflict.
How will I know what’s happening each day? What is the emergent daily Agenda?
- A Course Overview and Outline will be shared with you after your Registration, along with Zoom Tips and the materials list needed for graphics.
- Mostly we need you to be as present as you can be…so set yourself up with a comfortable chair, snacks and beverages. If you were in Toronto, we would be offering ‘treats’ and snacking our way through the days!
- Daily/ each time we meet, you’ll want to collect your course materials, writing journal and pens, markers, chalk, paper, and whatever you like to doodle with – because you will be joining us in creating doodles as we engage in graphic recording, facilitation and conversational practices throughout the course.
Is there a certification provided for course completion?
We offer a signed Certificate of Participation upon request.
What does the course cost?
$695 for the full workshop
$625 for people with disabilities/families and team rate per person of teams of 3 or more. The maximum team size is 4 team members.
(Materials and standard shipping are included in your workshop registration fee)
Our Cancellation Policy
We want to be as flexible as possible if you need to cancel your registration. With a course start date of September 27 for Orientation, enrolling participants and shipping materials to new participants requires lead time. We’ll do what we can, as we know, life happens!
- For teams enrolled, substitutions of participants are possible up to 2 weeks before course Orientation, September 13, 2022. Please contact us immediately regarding any changes in participants: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- For individual and team registrations, the course resource pack is non-refundable (the value of the books and materials list price is $125.00). The discounted workshop cost is $85.00).
- There is a non-refundable administrative fee of $45 .
- Refunds for Cancellation Before August 1: Full registration fee refund or credit with Inclusion Press for courses or publications, with a deduction of a non-refundable administration fee of $45, and a course pack of $85.
- Refunds for Cancellation up to August 20: 75% refund or credit with Inclusion Press for courses or publications, less administration fee of $45, and course pack $85.
- Refunds for Cancellation up to September 1: 50% refund or credit with Inclusion Press for courses or publications, less administration fee of $45, and course pack $85.
- After September 13, the registration fee is non-refundable.
- In the event of emergency issues, please contact us.